Music

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Allegory of the Sonnet

Dear Darkness, you've been there with me from the start
Your glorious shadows dance forever within my heart;
Your presence always suffocates this room
That your gloomy atmosphere tends to consume.
But lately your presence has begun to fade
After the bright Light had entered and left you dismayed.
This bright Light pains me so
Oh sweet Darkness, where did you go?
You raised and brought me to life
But your new found absence has caused us strife.
Dear Darkness, The Light wasn't so bad in the end
Since our meeting, Light has enabled me to transcend
I'm sad to tell you that this is our goodbye
The Light has taught me new things like the birds, the bees and the sky.

2 comments:

  1. Well this doesn't follow and sonnet rhyming scheme, but it does has it's own. This sonnet is very well written, with great decriptive words and metaphors. I like that Light and Darkness is capitalized, giving it more meaning. The rhetorical question adds a certain upper level flavor, and the last two lines do rhyme, so I guess you have a shakespearean sonnet! Very nice.
    :)

    I like your quote from Malcolm X, and my question is how do you plan on preparing for the Essay final?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though your sonnet does not follow the sonnet rhyming scheme like Maddi said, I still really like how you made the poem a letter and said "Dear Darkness". The Light and Dark being capitalized adds more interest and highlights the dark and light in the allegory.

    I like your blog theme. (I used this theme on my blog last year)
    What is your study technique for the vocabulary final?
    http://snstevensenglitcomp13.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete