Music

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

MacBeth Act 1

"Fair is foul and foul is fair: Hover through the fog and filthy air"
I'm not entirely sure what this quote means. It somewhat reminds me of the quote "All's fair in love and war" Comparing two drastically different things to justify something,somewhat like the quote above.Its almost as if it's saying "everything goes."

"For brave MacBeth-- well he deserves that name-- "
I believe this is Indirect characterization? The sergeant describes MacBeth as brave and deserving, putting him on a honorable pedestal.

"Assisted by that most disloyal traitor The thane of Cawdor, began a dismal conflict."
"Go pronounce his present death, And with his formal title greet MacBeth"
The king of Cawdor betrayed King Duncan and MacBeth was awarded his title due to his bravery and leadership.

* I don't understand the First witches statement about the chestnuts*

"So foul and fair a day I have not seen."
Not entirely sure what the quote means, but the witches did quote this statement earlier.

*Banquo and Macbeth seem to have a conversation about women, I'm unsure if Banquo is calling Macbeth a woman or if he is talking about women in general.*

"All hail, Macbeth! Hail to thee, thane of Glamis! All hail, Macbeth, hail to thee, than of Cawdor! All hail, Macbeth, thou shalt be a king hereafter!" 
The witches state that MacBeth will not only become king, but also become the than of Glamis and Cawdor.

"Lesser than Macbeth. and greater. Not so happy but much happier. Thou shalt get kings, though thou be none: So all hail, Macbeth and Banquo!"
I had to read this a few times, but basically I believe it's saying that after their prophecies come true, Macbeth will become much greater and happier  than he was, but he will also feel lesser and will never be as happy.

"He was a gentlemen on whom I built my absolute trust."
I'm assuming that Duncan used to be close to the thane of Cawdor.

"These weird sisters saluted me, and referred me to the coming on of time, with "Hail, king that shalt be!" It seems the witches also told Lady MacBeth about her husbands soon to be future.

"Look like an innocent flower, but be the serpent under't."
Shakespeare's way of saying a wolf in sheep's clothing.

"When you durst do it, then you were a man; And, to be more than what you were, you would Be so much more the man."
Basically, Lady MacBeth is telling MacBeth to man up and do what he's supposed to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment