Music

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

THOUGHTS ON HAMLET

My memory on my feelings towards the beginning of Hamlet are vague but I'm almost positive I didn't feel that he was evolving into a psychopath. The story of Hamlet is beginning to somewhat remind me of my favorite murder show "Dexter". Dexter becomes a serial killer after witnessing his mothers death. He vouches to find the man who killed his mother and kill him too. Dexter ends up killing many people on the way to finding the man who kills his mother. In the end, Dexter loses everything he loves and cherishes due to his blood lust and is forced to retreat to a life of solitude as a lumberjack. (I know, the ending was terrible but you get the gist.) To me Hamlet has become Dexter. He has found out his father was murdered and swears to kill the man who killed his father (Claudius). As a result, he ends up killing others before he gets to the killer (Polonious) until he loses the ones closest to him (Ophelia) and is killed for his actions. They're so different yet I see them as so similar. Hamlet started off as a character people could love and grow to care for, now he appears to be delusional. He no longer cares who he has to hurt or kill in order to get revenge. I once believed that Hamlets insanity was just a pseudo to fool those around him so that he could mourn for his father. It appears that Hamlet has fooled all of us. Now that his true colors are revealed he has nowhere to hide. The consequence for his  will pay in bloodshed.

1 comment: