Music

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Canterbury Tales

I don't have too many observations or questions about the Prologue of the Canterbury Tales. I figured this  mainly because of the format in which it is written. This older piece of literature is composed differently than the types of literature I understand and comprehend best. There was nothing supremely memorable about this story. Though some of the characters were interesting, I had no inner wish to pursue their stories any more than I already have. If I remember correctly, the only thing that truly made this story unique to me was the flaws each character possessed. They were all of different ranks and titles but all had certain flaws that connected them together as humans. This connection in flaws came off as a reminder that they are all human regardless of their social status or rank. Personally I feel like in adding this twist, Chaucer helped the characters relate to modern people today. Though the characters are far from like the people we see day to day, their sins, differences and flaws intertwined Chaucer's characters to those of us today. This also gave off a small theme and somewhat of a reminder that all men are created equal. Chaucer highlighted that color, occupation, financial situation, etc.is irrelevant when it comes to what makes us human. Though somewhat cliche, this was one of the only things I was able to configure from this poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment